Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Quickie Reviews

Introducing...Quickie reviews!



Since February 2013, I have been reviewing nearly every book I read on Goodreads.  That total is a nice chunk of reviews, and I've made a lot of close friends through my time there.  It has come to my attention, though, that because of some major changes in Goodreads over the past few years, my bookshelves may not remain accessible in the way I want them to be, as they work toward getting rid of traditional desktop view.

So, why not use my space as a blogger?

As I get used to adding my reviews here, I'll warn of several things: there are going to be A TON of them at first.  I have years of reviews (six years!) that I hope to transfer over here.  There may be many posts a day on days I have time to work on it.  I apologize in advance to what I will be doing to your inboxes.

Longer reviews will be given a regular post of their own in the style I've previously posted in.

When I can, I'll include links to free ebooks when applicable for older novels and classics.

I'll be using tags to help with finding books, such as:
Author
Genres or subjects
Star rating 
and so on.

My star ratings explained: (two negative and three positive classes)
1: Dislike or despise.  A book I don't want to ever read again and don't recommend.
2: It was okay.  Others might like it, but I'm underimpressed.
3: Good.  This is an enjoyable read, a story I may read again, and one that will stay on my shelf and might get recommended.  This is my default rating for enjoyable books, the equivalent of a B in a college class.
4: Very good.  Books from favorite authors generally fall into this category, and my most common rating generally ends up closer to four because I keep trying to look for five star reads. Grade A.
5: Excellent and/or favorite.  Books that sweep me away, that make me think, that haunt me for months afterward.  Books that make me love them so much that I forgive every single flaw they might contain.  A+ rated books.

Half stars: for when I can't decide between the above.
Emotional ratings: for when I love or hate the story so much that I forget everything else.  These are generally one or five star books.  😉

Questions and comments: 
I'd love to get lots of these!  Please bear with me, though, as I don't always have access to a computer with a browser that Google approves of, and thus may be unable to comment back quickly.

2 comments:

  1. Is Goodreads going to start archiving older reviews or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they are marketing heavily on having the reviews, but they are really cutting back to infrastructure for the user end. I can't stand the "responsive" web style they are putting all their resources toward, and now a number of my reviews are randomly vanishing into cyberspace and they can't solve it.

    ReplyDelete