Thursday, October 19, 2017

Book review: Many Sparrows



About a month ago, I got my hands on a copy of Lori Benton’s newest book, Many Sparrows, through the Blogging for Books program.  I was so excited to come home after a long day at work and find the package on the doorstep!  I opened it up and dove right in, then read it all at once.  Too bad I was too busy to post here right away, but here’s a picture of the cover and a copy of my review from Goodreads:



This sucked me right in, from the shocking and absorbing first page all the way to the meaningful, excellent ending!  I found it on my doorstep when I got home at about 5:30, and I finished it at about 12:30 am.  I simply couldn't put it down!

I felt for Clare, so much.  She's already breaking, with her husband's insistence on dragging his family deeper into Indian territory as tenuous peace crumbles, and as she is weeks away from giving birth.  Is it any wonder that she shatters when her husband doesn't return, her son vanishes, and she goes into labor in the midst of trying to find her son?  She tries so hard to be strong, but underneath her drive of pushing herself to find her boy is a deeply broken heart.

Then there was Jeremiah Ring, caught between two cultures, longing to have his Cherokee friends and family understand and accept God's love.  His adopted brothers are true brothers to him in the best sense of the word; how can he turn his back and join in the fight against them?  Yet how could he dream of fighting against Viriginians?  His adopted sister has turned her back on God after tragedy, and he hopes and prays for her return to faith.

The Christian message in this book is so strong.  I loved the point that was made that Rain Crow (the sister) participating in ceremonial dances was an indication that she was trusting the gods of the Indians rather than the Almighty.  (As much as I'd have liked to dislike/view her as a villain because of an action she takes in the story, I loved Rain Crow anyway and wanted her heart to change.)  It's got more in it than forgiveness...there's also trust and learning to wait on God for the right timing.

There's just so much to love about the beautiful, atmospheric writing, and the talent that takes you right to the scene.  Loved it!

Content: 18+ for frank talk of nursing and Indian habits and a dramatic birth scene.

Thanks to the publisher for a free review copy.  A favorable review was not required.

1 comment: